Gamers Generation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is this? Story Mode was incomplete? You don't say...

+3
CFW
Delayne
Alisassy
7 posters

Go down

What is this? Story Mode was incomplete? You don't say... Empty What is this? Story Mode was incomplete? You don't say...

Post by Alisassy March 29th 2012, 4:28 pm

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/mar/29/soul-calibur-5s-story-mode-was-14th-size-what-was-originally-planned/#comments

Speaking with Train2Game about the development process, Soul Calibur 5 director, Daishi Odashima, mentioned that the title shipped with only 1/4th of the story mode they had originally intended.

Odashima said that the Namco Bandai team didn't have the staff or time needed to fully realize their vision for story mode, and that each individual character on the roster was supposed to have their own plot line.

“Our first plan on the storyboard was that we had every characters story, and actually we do have it in the studio, but time-wise, man power-wise we weren’t able to do it and only one fourth of what we planned to do is in the game.”

He added that many of the other planned stories got full voice-overs during SoulCalibur V’s development, but there has been no decision on how to use them yet.

“Actually, some of the voice-overs are already taken but haven’t been used, so we want to make use of it somehow, but we don’t know how that’s going to be.” he said.

Well thats what happens when u give urself less than a year to make a damn game, i mean like come on darh
Alisassy
Alisassy
Staff

Rep : 131

Back to top Go down

What is this? Story Mode was incomplete? You don't say... Empty Re: What is this? Story Mode was incomplete? You don't say...

Post by Delayne March 30th 2012, 12:47 am

What is this? Story Mode was incomplete? You don't say... 1359642106
Delayne
Delayne

Rep : 146

Back to top Go down

What is this? Story Mode was incomplete? You don't say... Empty Re: What is this? Story Mode was incomplete? You don't say...

Post by CFW March 31st 2012, 12:43 am

They did what they could and they did gr8 IMO. darh
CFW
CFW
Admin

Rep : 99

https://gamersgeneration.forumotion.com/u3

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisassy March 31st 2012, 10:26 pm

By ignoring everyone? poff
Alisassy
Alisassy
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by CFW April 6th 2012, 11:58 pm

Sure but Idc about the story mode so
CFW
CFW
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by No78 July 23rd 2012, 12:41 pm

People are too harsh on the story mode for this.

Look at it this way. They traded individual character journeys for a canonical series of events. No, we didn't get the individual journeys of each character and their non-canon (usually sub-par) hypothetical ending movies, but instead we saw all of the important events that happened in SCV. And, they all actually happened!!!
No78
No78
Active

Rep : 31

http://froakievalentine.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisassy July 23rd 2012, 1:08 pm

That is a reasonable way to see it, but then again those events probably still would've happened within the game's story mode anyway. It's as if they tried to copy MK9's story style and failed at it.

Still though, it's better than what most fighting games deliver, but fighting games story modes need to cover as many characters as possible. It's like an unwritten rule.
Alisassy
Alisassy
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by No78 July 23rd 2012, 3:14 pm

Only a few characters didn't have some form of cameo though. Those being... Mitsurugi (no1curr), Hilde (she got the spotlight in 4 anyways), Aeon, Cervantes, Kilik aaand Algol (again, 4 was his place).

IDK When it first came out I was like, they're probably gonna add more shit through DLC. I was honestly expecting to see that random block in the middle become Talim and Zasalamel, at least.

But uh, I guess they didn't.

I am definitely expecting SOUL CALIBUR VITA to be announced soon and have loads more shit on it, 'cause the amount of mystery surrounding the story of SCV is so high. Like Edge Master hanging out in a dimension outside time, Cervantes somehow conquering chaos and becoming alive again, why exactly Kilik is going to die if he doesn't pass the torch, what happened to Amy to turn her into Viola, why Graf Dumas looks like Raphael, who the f is zwei, etc.

There was also talk of a novel in the works as well which may be another reason.

In a way, I sort of like the mystery, because whenever some random information leaks about it I get excited (being a story buff). But the fact that even the official site hasn't been translated to english yet, is frustrating...
No78
No78
Active

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisassy July 23rd 2012, 4:34 pm

Yeah, the game had so much potential from a story perspective. It just sucks that they brought so many new characters, so many new plots/questions and virtually ignored 90% of them.
Alisassy
Alisassy
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Via Purifico July 23rd 2012, 6:47 pm

The story was a problem but the lack of single player modes made the game less fun. I wouldn't mind it if the game had more single player options.
Via Purifico
Via Purifico
Staff

Rep : 53

https://gamersgeneration.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CFW July 23rd 2012, 6:53 pm

Personally I had plenty of fun with the single player modes. I literally could only play offline for 6/7 months straight and from when I got SCV, 4-5 months straight and I played it almost everyday.

I mean, really my intensions were to get better at the game and really learn what I could with little to no help from the internet.

I'm like in the small minority who actually thinks SCV was the best in the series. I thought the story mode was really good, and Quick battle and Legendary Souls + Creation really kept me going. phone
CFW
CFW
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by No78 July 24th 2012, 10:13 am

I liked the Story Mode don't get me wrong, for what it was and what it gave us, it was all decent. Possibly best quality cutscenes we've ever had. I prefer this to those off-hand, weird hypothetical scenes that clearly took namco like 5 minutes to come up with.

I need to play through it again at some point to be honest.

People are just pressed 'cause it only focused on patsy and pyrrha.

No78
No78
Active

Back to top Go down

Post by Kagami-X July 24th 2012, 1:30 pm

I'm annoyed at the scripting and voice acting. When I replayed parts of it I changed it Japanese which was a slightly better experience, but none of the cast in either language are all that great at conveying any emotion at all.

That and the primary school textbook presentation annoyed me, the story itself wasn't even bad.

I can't really blame them for being pressed at it tbh, Paddy is a really bland character to follow. Whenever anything bad happens to him you kind of just feel that he had it coming.
Kagami-X
Kagami-X
Gameplay Moderator

Rep : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by No78 July 24th 2012, 1:45 pm

I won't be satisfied with the voice acting until they speak their native fucking languages.

I think the depth in Patroklos lies in the fact he's a corrupt hero. He believes he's doing the right thing but he's actually a serial killer.

It's kind of similar to Siegfried was back in soul blade but shh

Also pat and pyrs storry had been set up for ages now so it was pretty satisfying to see it culminate like this.
No78
No78
Active

Back to top Go down

Post by Kagami-X July 24th 2012, 1:50 pm

I wouldn't call that depth though. From the very moment you meet and pick him up he's doing that and you just think "Oh dear, who's this idiot?" Rather than feeling he's being led astray. I think they should have started the story a little earlier on the timeline.

I don't think any language would be worth it with this. It's set in the past so vocabulary used would be different, and it's also set on an alternate Earth with some fictional regions.
Kagami-X
Kagami-X
Gameplay Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by No78 July 24th 2012, 1:54 pm

It'd be good enough just to mask the cheesiness of the voice acting.

Also, what's the point in saying the characters are from x and y if they're all americans anyway? Same problem I have with tekken tbh, which I'm glad they've fixed.

SC need to do it next. I've heard a lot of criticism to the idea, such as people want to understand what they're saying, the cutscenes wouldn't make sense. The historical language change is a valid point, but that can be safely ignored and no one would blame them.

The cutscenes would simply be written differently. Characters can speak more than one language for one anyway. I think for a story driven fighter stuff like this can really help the atmosphere and authenticity.

BUT APPARENTLY I'm the only person in the universe who wants this from SC. So I'll keep wishing alone.
jonny
No78
No78
Active

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisassy July 24th 2012, 2:09 pm

I don't mind characters speaking their native languages... It's just when u get people speaking Korean interacting with someone speaking Greek and they understand each other completely is where it gets dumb. The "one language for all" solves that.

And yeah, Paddy is a very bland character. SC fell into the same trap that Tekken is in, only giving a crap about one family and treating the rest like dirt. I mean at least Pyrrha had something going for her...
Plus, they left out so much to do with Paddy. The sword style change from Paddy to Alpha Paddy isnt even explained in the story but its a pretty big deal. If it is touched on, it is extremely brief and vague.
Alisassy
Alisassy
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kagami-X July 24th 2012, 2:20 pm

No78 wrote:SC need to do it next. I've heard a lot of criticism to the idea, such as people want to understand what they're saying, the cutscenes wouldn't make sense. The historical language change is a valid point, but that can be safely ignored and no one would blame them.

The cutscenes would simply be written differently. Characters can speak more than one language for one anyway. I think for a story driven fighter stuff like this can really help the atmosphere and authenticity.

Well its not in massive demand that people all speak their native languages, they make everyone speak one language and people don't (in general) mind that. I don't mind whether they make them speak native languages or not, there's not really a level of realism that they need to try and adhere to.
I do think that making them speak their own languages plus whatever they may have learnt in school is great though, I mean, that just makes perfect sense.

Alisassy wrote:Plus, they left out so much to do with Paddy. The sword style change from Paddy to Alpha Paddy isnt even explained in the story but its a pretty big deal. If it is touched on, it is extremely brief and vague.

I'm sure it was in the story that it mentioned why. Mah Setsky lady's only mention. smitten
Kagami-X
Kagami-X
Gameplay Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by No78 July 24th 2012, 2:33 pm

It is mentioned SOMEWHERE in the deep untranslated analects that Setsuka trained Patroklos.

No78
No78
Active

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosca July 24th 2012, 2:33 pm

Setsuka was basically said to be a better mother than Sophitia.

What is this? Story Mode was incomplete? You don't say... 3279762432
Bosca
Bosca

Rep : 65

http://boscabat.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kagami-X July 24th 2012, 2:36 pm

BoscaBat wrote:Setsuka was basically said to be a better mother than Sophitia.

What is this? Story Mode was incomplete? You don't say... 3279762432

Well her boobs were like half a cup bigger omfglmao
Kagami-X
Kagami-X
Gameplay Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisassy July 24th 2012, 3:19 pm

Yeah, i no why he changed his style, but i'm saying that the story mode didn't mention it. It just happens without any explanation. U'd think the devs would find an Alexandra droppin the family style in favour of another to be something worth mentionin, and not just because it has ties with an old character
Alisassy
Alisassy
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by No78 July 27th 2012, 12:59 pm

Alisassy wrote:Yeah, i no why he changed his style, but i'm saying that the story mode didn't mention it. It just happens without any explanation. U'd think the devs would find an Alexandra droppin the family style in favour of another to be something worth mentionin, and not just because it has ties with an old character

Just been replaying the story mode, they do mention it.

Soul Calibur changes shape into it's Iai form, and Z.W.E.I. speaks of it as the style he used to use before he began to use the 'pale imitation' of his mother's style.

So basically, his natural fighting style is the one Setsuka taught him. The sword and shield business is something he's picked up recently out of admiration for his mother, I guess when he adopted this weird JUSTICE MALFESTED MUST DIE attitude.

But then ZWEI smashed his shield and was like "no bitch" and set shit back to how it should be.
No78
No78
Active

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum